Proposed Job Description: Proposal Writer
Proposal Writers are responsible for driving activities associated with the Request for Proposal-based (RFP-based) proposal development process.
Proposal Writers research, organize and synthesize information to craft and deliver high-quality RFP-based proposals that are compliant and delivered on time while remaining consistent with the Company’s policies.
We will orient you with each client, their expectations, collateral, proposal standard operating procedures, and our expectations regarding client communication and standard operating procedures.
This position is remote and can be based anywhere in the United States. You may work from anywhere you have internet access and can maintain confidentiality. We may request your participation in occasional in-person meetings and training, although none are currently scheduled.
Mid-Level | Minimum of 3 years of professional experience in a similar role in the Proposal Writing & Management Industry
Does this sound like you?
We are looking for a Technical Proposal Writer who is…
- A Self-Starter
- Eager to learn
- Comfortable communicating what they know and don’t know
- Comfortable asking questions or for support when they’re stuck
- Able to work alone and on a team, remotely and virtually
- Advanced with Microsoft 365 skills, knows how to work with Themes and Styles in MS Word, an expert in working with .pdfs, including creating fillable forms, exporting docs from .pdf to other formats, redacting files
- Comfortable working with the pressure of deadlines
- Interested in building their writing skills for a business environment
- Creative, with an eye for design – desktop publishing skills are a plus
- Excited for the opportunity to make a difference
Proposal Writing Activities
- Lead a proposal from assignment to submission.
- Meet with the owner of each proposal within our client’s business to discuss the solution, associated risks, pursuit team, content, previous proposals and other sources to support draft development.
- Work with the team to develop the win themes.
- Create and manage team collaboration site.
- Thoroughly review proposal requirements, develop the timeline, create the project plan and proposal template to comply with RFP response requirements.
- Create and manage the compliance matrix. Lead efforts to ensure compliance with RFx requirements.
- Populate draft with content provided by the client, create new content by reviewing product/service specifications or interviewing subject matter experts.
- Review and edit team content for spelling, grammar, accuracy, single voice and consistency with win themes.
- Schedule and lead all calls, including kickoff, touch base, and draft reviews using web conferencing to enable screen shares.
- Collect and compile RFP questions for submittal.
- Lead reviews.
- Obtain approvals, including pricing and submittal approvals.
- Finalize proposal documents submission, ensuring compliance with RFx submittal requirements.
- Depending upon client standard operating procedures, push send on assigned RFPs or advise the individual responsible for submitting each proposal on RFP directions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications, English, Journalism or related field OR four (4) years of product development or marketing experience instead of a degree.
- Proposal writing experience in the commercial field.
- Prior experience in a business setting working in a proposal development unit, marketing, communications or publishing.
- Demonstrated creative and business writing skills.
- PC skills and experience in Microsoft products.
- Verbal and written communication skills and qualifications to complete RFP responses, including coordinating activities with many departments and incorporating layman terms in the proposal.
- Demonstrated project management, organizing, planning and scheduling experience.
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Experience and skills with proposal automation software, such as Qvidian. RFPIO, Loopio, Qorus
- APMP Certification
- Adobe InDesign
Capable of working at a computer, whether sitting or standing, for extended periods of time each day.
- Respond to this advertisement with a letter of interest, your resume, and two writing samples
- Possible skills assessment
- Initial interview with 2-3 team members
- Second interview with CEO
- Interviews with client with which we are proposing to place you
- Reference check
- Background check
- Drug screening
About Once Upon an RFP
We are a business Proposal Services Agency. We support B2B and B2G (Government) organizations’ proposal- and RFP-based business development. We are a fun, growing team. We’re a bit nerdy but love our work and making a difference for our clients.
At our Once Upon an RFP, we value all employees and job candidates as unique individuals, and we welcome the variety of experiences they bring to our company. As such, we have a strict non-discrimination policy. We believe everyone should be treated equally regardless of race, sex, gender identification, sexual orientation, national origin, native language, religion, age, disability, marital status, citizenship, genetic information, pregnancy, or other characteristics protected by law. If you feel that you have been discriminated against, please let your manager or Human Resources Department know as soon as possible. Every complaint will be appropriately investigated.